The Papua New Guinea-Australia Targeted Training Facility contributed to human resource development, technical and leadership capacity building, and governance in areas of agreed focus in the Papua New Guinea-Australia Development Cooperation Programme.
The Facility successfully:
- Managed the Australian Scholarship programmes; in-country tertiary undergraduate and post-graduate learning programmes in health and education via twinning partnerships between Australian and Papua New Guinea institutions; and sub-contract delivery of in-country Certificate and Diploma level short-term training programmes for public sector agencies under the Public Sector Workforce Development Programme;
- Developed and delivered the Donor Partners Careers in Development Programme;
- Designed and delivered the Leadership Support Initative on HIV&AIDS; and
- Implemented the Capacity Assessment and Development for the Strongim Gavman Programme and Executive Development programmes for the Provincial Performance Improvement Plan.
Facility assistance included:
- Facilitating stakeholders to articulate and define the target agencies.
- Providing integrated training packages that are consistent with agency human resource development plans.
- Providing on-going and progressive assistance phased over time.
Outcomes of the Facility's Short Term Targeted Training
- Enhanced workplace training and assessment skills of officers within targeted institutions;
- Improved service management and delivery skills of Corporate Support Services officers and Community Development Programme officers;
- Improving the ability of participating SGP agencies to take a proactive role in organisation capacity assessment and development directly linked to achieving better outcomes in governance and service delivery;
- Enhancing the capacity of Officers to manage the national planning process as informed by the Medium Term Development Strategy and other relevant national and international policy;
- Improving middle management performance in key central agencies; and
- Enhancing service delivery in and at the Ward, Local, District, Provincial and Central levels of Government.
Other Key Achievements Included:
- Providing scholarships to 130 students per annum, mobilised to undertake TAFE and Postgraduate courses in targeted areas in accordance with Government of Papua New Guinea priorities.
- Facilitating the application of over 250 Papua New Guineans to advanced nursing and teacher education skills through the Australian accredited graduate and post-graduate twinning programmes delivered in-country. The Virtual Colombo Plan initiative upgraded 40 Papua New Guinean teacher educators to Masters of Education through a mixed mode delivery at eight locations throughout Papua New Guinea.
- Supporting targeting students in Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea to study in regional institutions.
- Developing and implementing the Careers in Development programme and provided cadet opportunities for young graduates of Papua New Guinea universities to participate as active leaders and project managers in Papua New Guinea development.